City staff have closed the Emergency Support Services evacuation centre at the Kin Centre lounge.
People evacuated from their homes due to wildfires in the Peace River Regional District north of Fort St. John had been instructed to come to Prince George if they could not find accommodation closer to their homes through ESS centres in Fort St. John, Dawson Creek and Chetwynd.
The city received notice at about noon Wednesday that some of the evacuation alerts and orders issued earlier this week to residents of northeastern B.C. had been rescinded by the BC Wildfire Service. The Prince George centre, which opened Tuesday at 8 a.m., was closed today at 2:30 p.m.
About 50 people who did register in Prince George remain under order to stay away from their homes, said city communications manager Julie Rogers.
“If they are still evacuated from their homes when their 72-hour support expires, they are able to renew their status and keep their hotel rooms by calling the ESS 24-hour line,” said Rogers. “They have all been informed of that.”
Orders to leave in the Peace River Regional district remain in effect for residents of Cameron River, Donnie Creek, Red Creek and Stoddart Creek
The city’s ESS staff distributed vouchers for campsites, hotels and food, to be redeemed in Prince George.
More updates on evacuation alerts and orders is available on the BC Wildfire Service website.