Skip to content
Join our Newsletter

Prince George Cougars on the wrong end of shutout against Giants

Cougars have now dropped back-to-back games
The Prince George Cougars dropped the first of two against Vancouver on Friday night (Oct.6). (via James Doyle/Prince George Cougars)

The Prince George Cougars came out with a loss against the Vancouver Giants on Friday night (Oct. 5). 

In the first of a short two-game series at home against the Giants on Thanksgiving weekend, Vancouver was in a festive mood after a 3-0 shutout (their second consecutive after beating Kelowna 5-0 on Oct. 3) at the CN Centre.

The first period saw no goals scored and just two interference penalties, one for the Cougars' Rhett Rhinehart and Kaleb Bulych also took one for the Giants. 

The second was once again the same as the first, no goals but three penalties. Vancouver's Ty Ettinger went to the box for roughing, Bowen Byram for hooking and Rhinehart got his second interference call of the night.

The third period is where things turned chippy. Seven penalties were dished out in the final frame as well as three goals from Vancouver in the first ten minutes. 

Five minutes in Owen Hardy would score the game-winner with his second goal of the season, assisted by James Malm. 

Justin Sourdif would also add his second of the season and the insurance goal two minute later with assists from Milos Roman and Brayden Watts.

Lukas Svejkovsky would tally his first goal of the season unassisted on the power play to put the game out of reach at 3-0. 

The seven penalties included two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties as well as charging major and a game misconduct. 

Rhinehart would take his third penalty of the game for cross-checking. 

Vancouver's Owen Hardy would take an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty while Max Kryski would go to the box for holding. In the same sequence, Prince George's Vladislav Mikhalchuk received an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. 

With five minutes left in the third, Prince George's Reid Perepeluk received a five-minute major for charging as well as a game misconduct while Bulych would take a two-minute minor for roughing. 

Vancouver finished 1-of-3 on the power play while Prince George finished 0-for-2. 

First star of the game was Vancouver netminder David Tendeck. Second star was awarded to Hardy, while the third star went to Prince George's Tyson Upper. 

Tendeck stopped 24 shots for the shutout while Taylor Gauthier stopped 22 of 25. 

The two teams go at it again tonight (Oct. 6) at the CN Centre at 7 p.m.