Skip to content
Join our Newsletter

Fire in homeless encampment destroys shelter

No injures in blaze at Moccasin Flats camp; cause is considered accidental
Moccasain Flats
The Lower Patricia Boulevard encampment known as Moccasin Flats was the scene of a fire that destroyed one of the tent shelters late Friday morning.

A fire in one of the tent shelters of a downtown homeless encampment late Friday morning destroyed the shelter and damaged its contents.

Prince George Fire Rescue was called to the Lower Patricia Boulevard encampment at about 11:30 a.m. Friday and crews were able to douse the fire quickly but not before the damage was done.

“Our crews were notified of the fire and they got there and one of the encampments was involved in fire,” said PGFR assistant chief Cliff Warner. “There was nobody home at the time and there were no injuries.

“At this point it’s deemed accidental. I think they knocked (the fire) down pretty quick and prevented it from spreading anywhere else.”

Warner said no other details were available to him.

The camp is home to about 25 residents and is informally known as Moccasin Flats.

It was announced earlier this week that Warner will take over for retiring fire chief John Iverson, who is retiring after eight years as head of the city fire department. Warner will take on his new duties at the end of January.