Skip to content
Join our Newsletter

A history of rural schools

The Retired Teachers' Association has created Historical Memories: People, Places, Programs & Services, an ongoing project that features information about School District 57.

The Retired Teachers' Association has created Historical Memories: People, Places, Programs & Services, an ongoing project that features information about School District 57.

The association has been kind enough to allow the Prince George Citizen access to those records so we might share them with our readers.

Mud River School

Oil Painting by Eileen Belbeck

The painting of the second Mud River School was the artist's concept taken from a photograph in

the SD 57 Education Heritage Collection.

The school was originally a log house built by Andrew Miller.

It was located in the Upper Mud River area, west of Prince George, off Highway 16.

A room at the back was used as a teacherage.

The school opened in January 1920 with 17 students and the first teacher was Mrs. K. Rocklyeft. Other early teachers were Miss J. V. McLarty (1922-1924) and Miss Bessie Miller (1924-1925). Throughout the 20s and 30s, dances and church services were regularly held at the school. In 1945, the school had 17 students in Grades 1 to 7.

Mud River School closed in 1965 with 15 students enrolled. The students in this area were then, and continue to be, bussed to Beaverly elementary school on Western Road off Highway 16.

Salmon Valley School

Oil Painting by Pat Russman

The painting is the artist's concept taken from a photograph by Kent Sedgwick in the SD 57

Education Heritage Collection.

The schools in the Salmon River area were frequently moved due to low enrollment or fire. The

school pictured here was a one-room school located on the south side of Highway 97, near the

Salmon River.

It was opened in 1935 on land owned by Sinai Beauregard. The teachers were Miss E. E. Jones

(1935-1937), Miss P. Benson (1937-1938), and L. M. Sutherland (l938-1939).

The building was a hand-hewn log structure with living quarters, built by families in the community. It was closed in 1940 but reopened from 1948 to 1950.

In January 1951, fire destroyed the school.

Strathnaver School

Pen and Watercolour by Karen Dougan

The first Strathnaver School was a one-room log school located 45 miles south of Prince George.

The painting was inspired by a photograph in the SD 57 Education Heritage Collection.

The Strathnaver school opened in September 1929 with ten students in Grades 1 to 8. The first teachers were Miss Dorothy C. Stimpson (1930-1931) and Miss C. M. Murray (1931-1933).

The school was closed in 1948 when a young teacher arrived and refused to teach because of the condition of the school. A portable school was then brought in.

This school was on the right of way for the new Highway 97, so the school board had the building

burned in 1956. The students in this area are now bussed to an elementary school in the Quesnel School District.

Woodpecker School

Oil Painting by Sharon Paul

Woodpecker School was named for Woodpecker Island in the Fraser River. A photograph in the SD 57 Education Heritage Collection inspired the painter.

Woodpecker school was a one-room school located 30 miles south of Prince George, on the Fraser River, off Highway 97.

It opened in September 1923 with six students in Grades 1 to 8 from the surrounding farming community.

The first teachers, including Miss C. Frith (1923-1924) and Mrs. Ada Ashby (1924-1926), were appointed from either Vancouver or Victoria.

The Woodpecker Farmers Institute was held in the school until a community hall was built. Church services were also held there until a church was built.

In 1946, the school became a part of School District No. 57 (Prince George). It had 14

students when it was closed in 1950.

The building burned down in the 1990s. The students in this area were bussed to Hixon elementary school.