VICTORIA — Health Minister Adrian Dix says pending court action launched to protect British Columbia's public health care has been averted with a settlement between Telus Health and Medical Services Commission.
Dix says the settlement has resulted in the commission suspending its court injunction application alleging the Telus Health LifePlus program was charging for health services covered under the medical services plan.
The injunction was filed last December and Dix says since then Telus and the commission have worked together to modify the LifePlus program to ensure it complies with the Medicare Protection Act.
The injunction application alleged the LifePlus program included fees of more than $4,500 that could lead people to believe they would get preferential treatment and access to doctors if they pay for a membership.
Dr. Robert Halpenny, the commission's chair, says in a statement that Telus committed to amend its LifePlus program to help maintain the integrity of public health care in B.C.
Telus Health spokeswoman Juggy Sihota says in a statement the agreement will see Telus Health modify LifePlus to establish a clearer link between insured and uninsured care delivery.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 26, 2023.
The Canadian Press