Mr. Reid, in the Royal Hotel with the the lead pipe

This week in Prince George history, April 29 to May 5:

May 2, 1922: A manhunt was on for the suspect in an assault that left one man in hospital with "a split forehead and a nasty gash on the back of his head," The Citizen reported.

article continues below

According to police, the incident was the result of a falling out over a game of cards on April 29, 1922. The victim was a Mr. Cameron while the fugitive was identified as I. Reid.

"It happened over a little game in the Fraser Club, on Saturday night, when it is alleged the two actors in this sordid little drama 'had words' over the turn of play," The Citizen reported. "The works apparently became more objectionable, and considerable freedom of phrase was employed by both of the men who were 'argufyin'' and so they were 'given d' rush' and ended up on George Street."

Both men were staying at the Royal Hotel, and when they returned there the arguement resumed.

"(To) settle the matter once and for all Reid introduced an eight-inch length of gas pipe, which he wrapped about the head of his vis-a-vis in one swift and sweeping blow," The Citizen reported. "This was the signal for Mr. Cameron's fade-out, and the retirement to parts unknown of the man Reid."

Chief of Police Neil McMillan was hunting for Reid, who was described as five-foot-11, slightly bald, with a slim face and rather large nose. He was also believed to walk with a slouch and have a fair complexion. He was wearing a cap and suit of dark, checked material and a brown shirt.

Cameron was being treated at the hospital and "making excellent progress towards recovery."

Reid, whose first name was never given, was arrested in McBride and brought back to Prince George to face justice on May 20, 1922.

Reid appeared before Judge Robertson in county court to face a charge of assault causing grevious bodily harm, the May 23, 1922 edition of The Citizen reported.

"On the night in question, following a dispute over a game of cards, Reid struck Cameron on the head with a piece of gas pipe. Cameron went to the hospital where a little plain sewing was done to his wounds," The Citizen reported.

Reid didn't have a lawyer, and defended himself in court.

He was sentenced to five months in jail, The Citizen reported.

Prince George back in the Roaring 20s could be a pretty rough place.

To explore 100 years of local history yourself, visit the Prince George Citizen archives online at: The Prince George Citizen online archives are maintained by the Prince George Public Library.

Read Related Topics


NOTE: To post a comment you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

The Prince George Citizen welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. Comments that contain external links will not be permitted. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

comments powered by Disqus

Wearing a face mask POLL

If a local business informed you that you had to wear a face mask before entering, would you?

or  view results

Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter!

Popular Citizen

Lowest Gas Prices in Prince George
Prince George Gas Prices provided by