The Prince George Cycling Club is aiming to convince at least 1,000 people to put their feet to pedals for Go By Bike Week - a new name for a long-standing tradition in the city.
Formerly known as Bike to Work Week, "the name and branding are currently working through a transition to be more inclusive and engage more potential participants," coordinator Dane Greenwell said.
It's all in the name of promoting cycling in in Prince George, as well as encouraging healthy and environmentally conscious behavior.
"Events like these bring value to our community by building comradery and encouraging people to visit businesses while they explore the city," Greenwell said.
It's also a chance to win a cycling trip for two through Prosecco Hills in Italy.
To qualify, you must register through www.biketowork.ca/prince-george and log kilometres for at least one trip on your bike instead of driving a motor vehicle to during the week. For example, riding to work, school, the gym, to run errands or meet a friend for coffee all qualify.
While it starts this coming Monday, there will be a pre-launch tomorrow at CN Centre, 5-8 p.m.
Commuting safety will be the theme and there will be a riding course and helmet fitting.
Celebration stations will be set up around the city during the week starting with a kick-off breakfast on Monday at City Hall, 6:45-9 a.m.
Also on the schedule:
- Tuesday, May 28: Hot breakfast at Canadian Mental Health Association, 1152 3rd Ave. 7:15-9 a.m.; CrossRoads Brewing, 508 George St., 8:30-9:30 p.m. after PGCC group ride.
- Wednesday, May 29: Koops Bikes, 1659 Nicholson St., 6:45-9:15 a.m.; Brain Injury Group, 1070 4th Ave. 5-7 p.m.
- Thursday, May 30: Handsome Cabin Boy & Ave Maria, 1616/1638 20 Ave. 6:45-9:15 a.m.; Ruckus Ski Board and Bikes, 1455 Johnson St., 3:45-6 p.m.
- Friday, May 31: Ritual Coffee Bar, 101-1085 3rd Ave., 7-9 a.m.; Group Ride Wine Down: The Exploration Place to Northern Lights Estates Winery along Cottonwood Island Nature Park 4:30 p.m;
- Saturday June 1: Exploration Place, 333 Becott Pl., 11 a.m.-2 p.m.