George Street in front of the Ramada Downtown was filled with lights and sirens Tuesday afternoon when firefighters, as well as police and ambulance, were called to a what turned out to be a minor incident.
"It created a lot of smoke but it was actually a very small event," Prince George Fire Rescue Assistant Chief Thad Kennedy said.
A heating element inside the building's ductwork had overheated, burnt some insulation surrounding the pipe, and sent smoke into the Park House condominium office at the corner of George and Fifth.
"Crews went out and found no fire, so they just ventilated the smoke out of the building," Kennedy said.
The two women who were in the office had gotten out while both the Ramada and neighbouring Plaza 400 were in the process of being evacuated when firefighters arrived.
RCMP and paramedics has also been called in as a precaution but no injuries were reported.
Kennedy said maintenance workers who had been working on the system first noticed the smoke and quickly shut the system down.