On Saturday - Dawson Creek RCMP monitored a protest in which the participants were protesting in response to government-imposed restrictions relating to COVID-19 preventative measures.
Dawson Creek RCMP had previously met with the organizer on several occasions in an effort to ensure he was aware of his responsibilities under the current Provincial Health Order as the organizer of an event, even going so far as to provide the organizer a copy of the current Provincial Health Order pertaining to organizers of events and gatherings.
The organizer unfortunately refused to comply with the requirements of the Provincial Health Order. Dawson Creek RCMP noted that the protest held on December 12th, 2020 did not follow the requirements of the Provincial Health Order, specifically:
- More than 50 persons were in attendance
- Persons in attendance did not physically distance more than 2 meters
- Contact information for attendees was not obtained or retained for contract tracing
- A COVID Safety Plan was not drafted by the organizer
- Hand sanitization/disinfectant was not made available to attendees
As a result, the organizer was fined $2,300 under the COVID-19 Related Measures Act.
Dawson Creek RCMP will continue working with the organizer in an effort to support future peaceful and lawful protest gatherings which are in compliance of current Provincial Health Orders.