A second independent school in Prince George has been warned of a COVID-19 expsosure event.
Sacred Heart Elementary is listed by Northern Health this afternoon (Dec. 1) for the virus as students and staff may have come into contact with someone in their community that tested positive between Nov. 25 and 27.
This is the ninth learning institution in the northern capital and second Catholic-based school to be alerted for COVID-19.
Immaculate Conception was notified for a possible virus exposure between Oct. 21 and 23.
North Peace Secondary was also included in today's update for a fourth time in less than a month for COVID-19 exposure.
The new dates are cited as Nov. 24 to 26; it's two exposure times before then were Nov. 10, 12-13; 16, and 19 to 20.
Northern Health's school-exposure section explains students should still go to school "if you do not receive a phone call or letter from Public Health," but you're also encouraged to monitor symptoms daily.
Should a student or teacher receive a positive COVID-19 test, the notification process is as follows:
- Contact tracing is initiated to determine how the individual was infected and who they were in close contact with
- We identify and notify close contacts who may be at an increased risk, and advise them to self-isolate and monitor for symptoms for 14 days
- Only Public Health can determine who is a close contact
- Learning groups, friends or other connections may not be determined to be a close contact
- Public Health staff works closely with the school and school district throughout the case and contact management process to maintain close communication with the school community
The full list of northern B.C. schools at time of publication (Dec. 1, 3:15 p.m.) for COVID-19 exposure are as follows:
- Nak’albun Elementary (Independent) - Nov. 22-25, 2020; Sept. 16-18, 2020
- Charlie Lake Elementary School (SD60) - Nov. 23-24, 16-26, 2020
- Ecole College Heights School (SD57) - Nov. 19-20, 20-24, 2020
- David Hoy Elementary (SD91) - Nov. 25-26, 2020; Sept. 17-18, 2020
- William Konkin Elementary School - Burns Lake (SD91) - Nov. 16, 23-24, 2020
- Fort St. James Secondary School (SD91) - Nov. 19-20, 20-26, 2020
- Bert Bowes Middle School (SD60) - Nov. 16, 18-20, 2020
- Beaverly Elementary (SD57) - Nov. 23-24, 2020
- Foothills Elementary (SD57) - Nov. 23, 2020
- Prince George Secondary (SD57) - Nov. 20, 2020; Oct. 2, 2020
- North Peace Secondary (SD60) - Nov. 10, 12-13, 16, 19, 2020
- Peden Hill Elementary (SD57) - Nov. 12-17, 17-20, 2020
- Energetic Learning Campus - Fort St. John (SD60) - Nov. 16-20, 2020
- Dawson Creek Secondary School - South Peace Campus (SD59) - Nov. 16-18, 2020; Sept. 23-25, 2020
- Chetwynd Secondary (SD59) - Nov. 13, 2020
- Van Bien Elementary (SD57) - Nov. 9-10, 2020
- Ron Brent Elementary (SD57) - Oct. 30, 2020
- Hudson's Hope Elementary-Junior Secondary (SD60) - Oct. 26-Nov. 4, 2020
- Immaculate Conception School (Diocese of Prince George) - Oct. 21-23, 2020
- Roosevelt Park Elementary (SD52) - Oct. 21-22, 2020
- Fort Nelson Secondary (SD81) - Oct. 15-16, 2020
- Notre Dame School (Private) - Oct. 13-14, 2020
- Quesnel Junior Secondary (SD28) - Sept. 10-11, 15-18, 2020
- Ecole Frank Ross Elementary (SD59) - Sept. 10-11, 2020
As of this publication, Northern Health has recorded 860 COVID-19 infections since March, which has claimed the lives of seven people.
There are also 250 active cases with 13 people in critical care among 33 in hospital.