Peden Hill Elementary may have been exposed to COVID-19 this month.
According to Northern Health, there is a five-day window students and staff at the Prince George school may have come into contact with a lab-confirmed case of the virus, citing Nov. 12 to 17.
Peden Hill, a member of School District 57 (SD57), is a kindergarten to grade seven institution that serves roughly 160 students each year.
Should a student or teacher receive a positive COVID-19 test in any case, Northern Health's school notification process is as follows:
- Contact tracing is initiated to determine how the individual was infected and who they were in close contact with
- We identify and notify close contacts who may be at an increased risk, and advise them to self-isolate and monitor for symptoms for 14 days
- Only Public Health can determine who is a close contact
- Learning groups, friends or other connections may not be determined to be a close contact
- Public Health staff works closely with the school and school district throughout the case and contact management process to maintain close communication with the school community
This is the fourth SD57 school and fifth in Prince George overall flagged for COVID-19.
- Van Bien Elementary - Nov. 9-10, 2020
- Ron Brent Elementary - Oct. 30, 2020
- Immaculate Conception School (Diocese of Prince George) - Oct. 21-23, 2020
- Prince George Secondary - Oct. 2, 2020
A school in Burns Lake was also added to the list this afternoon.
SD91's William Konkin Elementary was cited for possible exposure on Nov. 16.
There are 12 other northern B.C. schools alerted for the virus since students returned to class in September:
- Bert Bowes Middle (SD60) - Nov. 16, 2020
- North Peace Secondary (SD60) - Nov. 10, 12, 13, 16, 2020
- Chetwynd Secondary (SD59) - Nov. 13, 2020
- Van Bien Elementary (SD57) - Nov. 9-10, 2020
- Ron Brent Elementary (SD57) - Oct. 30, 2020
- Hudson's Hope Elementary-Junior Secondary (SD60) - Oct. 26-Nov. 4, 2020
- Roosevelt Park Elementary (SD52) - Oct. 21-22, 2020
- Fort Nelson Secondary (SD81) - Oct. 15-16, 2020
- Notre Dame School (Private) - Oct. 13-14, 2020
- Dawson Creek Secondary - South Peace Campus (SD59) - Sept. 23-25, 2020
- David Hoy Elementary (SD91) - Sept. 17-18, 2020
- Quesnel Junior Secondary (SD28) - Sept. 10-11, 15-18, 2020
- Nak’albun Elementary (Independent) - Sept. 16-18, 2020
- Ecole Frank Ross Elementary (SD59) - Sept. 10-11, 2020
As of this publication (Nov. 23), there are 649 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Northern Health, including 153 active cases, six deaths, 18 people in hospital, nine of whom are in critical care, and 490 recoveries.