The Prince George Airport Authority (PGAA) is getting a rental break for the remainder of 2020 as the COVID-19 outbreak continues in B.C. and across Canada.
This week, YXS was announced as one of 21 facilities in the country’s air transportation sector receiving up to $331.4 million to offset ground lease rents to the federal government through to December as most domestic and international flights have been grounded until further notice.
The pandemic’s impact has led to border restrictions and residents have been advised to avoid all non-essential travel to protect health and safety, which has also resulted in industry staff layoffs.
“It is a small step, but a great first step,” the PGAA said in a social media post this morning (April 1) about the next step in Canada’s Economic Response Plan to COVID-19.
“We will continue to lobby the government for help to get us through these tough times.”
According to the federal government, the money reflects payments made during the same period in 2018, which will relieve cost pressures and preserve cash flow.
“We recognize the impacts that the COVID-19 pandemic continues to have on people and the economy, and that certain sectors, such as the air transportation industry, have suffered tremendously,” said Finance Minister Bill Morneau in a news release.
“As we have said since this crisis began, we have Canadians’ backs and stand ready to do anything and everything in our power to support those who are suffering. The support provided today is the next step in Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan to help workers and businesses get through this unprecedented time of turmoil.”
Prince George is included with this rent relief as it's considered to be one of the country’s 21 biggest airports, which also include the following:
- Victoria Airport Authority
- Vancouver International Airport Authority
- Calgary Airport Authority
- Edmonton Regional Airports Authority
- Saskatoon Airport Authority
- Regina Airport Authority
- Winnipeg Airports Authority Inc.
- Thunder Bay International Airports Inc.
- Greater Toronto Airports Authority
- Greater London International Airports Authority
- Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport Authority
- Aéroports de Montréal
- Aéroport de Québec Inc.
- Saint John Airport Inc.
- Greater Moncton International Airport Authority Inc.
- Fredericton International Airport Authority
- Charlottetown Airport Authority Inc.
- St. John’s International Airport Authority
- Gander International Airport Authority Inc.
- Halifax International Airport Authority