A wave of orange shirts walked through downtown this afternoon to speak out against childhood sexual abuse.
The second annual Victor Walk began on the steps of the Prince George courthouse today (July 27), which was also the only walk of its kind to take place in B.C.
“I coordinated the first one last year, and this is our second one and we are hoping to keep it as an annual thing,” says coordinator Brett McLachlan.
Prince George’s Victor Walk to raise awareness for survivors of childhood sexual abuse took place this afternoon #cityofpg #victorwalk @pgmatters @TheoFleury14 pic.twitter.com/4OkKUxwEMW
— Hanna Petersen (@hannaepeter) July 27, 2019
“I think it’s really important because it’s raising awareness for people in general that there is a support system here.”
The Victor Walk was an initiative started by Stanley Cup-champion Theo Fleury back in 2013, to give a voice to those who’ve been affected by childhood sexual abuse or trauma. It's also known as the Orange Wave of Courage because of the orange shirts worn by survivors and supporters.
Taking place every year since, this year's official 2019 Victor Walk takes place in tomorrow in Calgary. Only three additional support walks were planned across the country with two happening in Ontario and today's in Prince George.
“It’s something that people carry around their whole lives. They carry guilt, shame, trauma, anger, all of these things,” says McLachlan.
“We have the Prince George Sexual Assault Centre (PGSAC) here that I only became aware of after I came to a point in my life where I couldn’t cope with and deal with my childhood trauma anymore and that was a life-changer for me.”
He says through the PGSAC he was able to form a men’s group that now meets weekly.
“You get to a point when you’re an adult and you can’t hold it in anymore and it takes effect on you. When you talk about it - as Theo Fleury says - when you share your vulnerability with people, they share it back, and they open up because they realize they are not alone.”
Today’s Victor Walk in Prince George was the only Victor Walk to take place in B.C. #CityofPG #victorwalk @PGMatters @TheoFleury14 pic.twitter.com/rOQzybjSWg
— Hanna Petersen (@hannaepeter) July 27, 2019
Lynnell Halikowski, PGSAC executive director, spoke to the crowd on the courthouse steps about the importance of funding for not only women and children’s programming, but men’s programming as well.
“We are the only sexual assault centre in the province that provides specialized sexual assault services to men – that is not okay,” says Halikowski. “It shouldn’t be on the backs of the survivors of the horrible abuse to walk this journey alone.”
Those who wanted to share their experiences were also invited to tell their stories before the participants embarked on the walk around downtown.
“I’d like to thank the men from our men’s group for the courage it has taken to speak out and speak up to help end childhood sexual abuse,” added Halikowski.
You can find out more about the Victor Walk on its official website, and you can connect with the Prince George Sexual Assault Centre (193 Quebec Street) online or by phoning 250-564-8302.