Skip to content
Join our Newsletter

PHOTOS: Prince George Spruce Kings take Game Two overtime thriller

P.G. downs Coquitlam Express 3-2 (OT) to take 2-0 series lead

A fortunate penalty call in the extra period helped the Prince George Spruce Kings take a comfortable lead in the first round of the B.C. Hockey League (BCHL) playoffs.

Lucas Vanroboys tipped in a shot from the blue-line on the man-advantage with less than two minutes left in overtime to win Game Two over the Express by a score of 3-2 Saturday night (March 2).

After back-to-back nights at the Rolling Mix Concrete Arena (RMCA), Prince George now takes a 2-0 series lead down to Coquitlam, where they’ll have a chance to sweep the opening round should they win both games down there.

Logan Neaton started once again in goal for the Spruce Kings and got the victory by stopping 27 of 29 shots, while the Express decided to go with back-up netminder Kolby Matthews to start Game Two and had a valiant night of his own, making 36 saves on 39 shots.

Coquitlam took the early lead less than three minutes into the contest and took control of the game with that 1-0 score through two full periods.

Prince George’s Chong Min Lee tied it up halfway through the third period on a pass from captain Ben Poisson.

The Express steamrolled back to the one-goal advantage with four minutes left in the game, that is, until another power-play fell into the hands of the Spruce Kings, allowing Ben Brar to tap one inside the cage with 90 seconds remaining.

Defencemen Dylan Anhorn and Nick Bochen provided the assists on the second tying marker, while blue-liners Max Coyle and Layton Ahac helped on Vanroboys game-winning goal with 104 seconds left in overtime.

Games Three and Four will be played at Coquitlam’s ‘Train Station,’ the Poirier Sports and Leisure Complex, tomorrow (March 4) and Tuesday (March 5).

Puck drop for both games is slated for 7:15 p.m.

If the Express win one of those games, Game Five will be back in Prince George on Thursday (March 7) at the RMCA.