Skip to content
Join our Newsletter

Inspections find dust issues in other facilities

A second phase of inspections following two deadly sawmill explosions earlier this year in Prince George and Burns Lake found nearly 60 per cent of forestry plants had levels of dust putting them at risk of fire or explosion, according to WorkSafeBC

A second phase of inspections following two deadly sawmill explosions earlier this year in Prince George and Burns Lake found nearly 60 per cent of forestry plants had levels of dust putting them at risk of fire or explosion, according to WorkSafeBC records.

Inspections last spring targeted sawmills. Phase 2 shifted to pulp mills, plywood plants and secondary manufacturers, which produce everything from flooring to pallets and cedar fencing.

Of 83 facilities inspected in July, August and early September, 48 of them were cited for having levels of dust that "present a hazard of fire and/ or explosion," according to inspection records obtained by The Vancouver Sun under a provincial freedom of information request.

WorkSafeBC ordered the plants to clean up the wood dust, which resulted in a "high degree" of compliance.

There were 21 orders to fix dust collections systems, ensure a safe blast zone between workers and dust collectors, and stop using high-pressure air to clean dust.

Among the plants directed to clean up wood dust were a number of pulp mills: Canfor in Taylor, Tembec in Chetwynd, Domtar in Kamloops, Cariboo in Quesnel, Zellstoff Celgar in Castlegar, Howe Sound Pulp and Paper, and Mackenzie Pulp Mill.

Plywood plants also made the list: Richmond Plywood, Savona Specialty, West Fraser in Quesnel, and Tolko facilities in Armstrong and Heffley Creek.

Wood pellet manufacturers were also directed to clean up dust: three of Pinnacle Pellet's plants and Princeton Co-generation.

Dozens of secondary manufacturers also made the cleanup list including C&C Wood in Quesnel, Teal Cedar in Salmon Arm and Revelstoke, Northern Engineered Wood Products in Smithers and Jasco Forest Products in Abbotsford.

The province's chief workplace safety agency said it was not surprised by the high proportion of plants that had hazardous levels of dust.

"We expected to see issues," said Betty Pirs, WorkSafeBC's vice-president of prevention services.

The forest industry is working to control dust, but it takes time for habits to change, she noted.

Explosions and fires on Jan. 19 at Babine Forest Products in Burns Lake and Lakeland Mills in Prince George on April 23 each killed two workers. Dozens of other workers were seriously injured. Dust is being investigated as a factor in both of those explosions.

Pinnacle Pellet CEO Leroy Reitsma said any incident is a reminder of the importance of safety and fire prevention regardless if there is death or injury.

Pinnacle pellet plants in Quesnel, Strathnaver and Burns Lake were cited by WorkSafeBC for hazardous wood dust levels.

In Burns Lake, accumulations of secondary dust were found in various locations throughout the facility such as process equipment, ledges, beams, roof supports, water lines, ventilation ducts and cable trays, according to an Aug. 27 WorkSafeBC inspection report.

Whenever opportunities for improvement are pointed out, the company pays attention, Reitsma said.

Pinnacle has proactively sought advice from engineering consultants to improve fire and explosion safety at its plants, he noted.

"In terms of risk exposure, we understand that if there is a risk with dry wood dust, we would be at the top of the list in terms of the type of product we handle," he said. "Our level of attention to the issue has to match that."

Other producers have pushed back against the focus on cleaning up wood dust.

Jasco Forest Products owner Jaswant Sidhu views the combustible dust cleanup rules as an unnecessary burden on his small Abbotsford plant. He noted the dust from hemlock and Douglas fir is not as dry as the beetle-killed pine in the Interior, and his plant has never had a fire or explosion.