Arson has been identified as the cause of early-morning fire Wednesday that heavily-damaged the concession/broadcast area at Spruce City Stadium.
A Prince George Fire Rescue crew from the nearby hall on Massey Drive was called to the scene at about 5 a.m. Wednesday and put out the flames to save the structure but not before an estimated $100,000 damage was done.
The culprit or culprits stole two large wireless speakers used by the Spruce City Fastball Association as the public address system. The fire also destroyed wiring that controls the lighted scoreboard at the stadium.
“We are currently investigating this incident as an act of arson,” said Cpl. Jennifer Cooper, media relations officer for the Prince George RCMP. “Additionally, it appears as though the suspect or suspects stole two large Bluetooth speakers that were stored inside the concession.
“We are appealing to the public to come forward if they have any knowledge of who may have stolen the speakers or started the fire. They can speak with an investigator by calling the non-emergency line at 250-561-3300.”
The city-owned facility at 2210 Massey Dr., was last used on Sunday evening for the final games of the Canadian Native Fastball Championships and was last attended by city staff at about 4 p.m. that day.
Frontline RCMP officers called to the scene Wednesday morning were joined by an RCMP fire investigator and staff from the Forensic Identification Section to collect evidence and take photographs. The investigation is continuing.
Police are asking the public to help catch the suspects. If you have any information, call the above-mentioned phone number or Northern B.C. Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or go online to www.northernbccrimestoppers.ca. You do not have to reveal your identity and could be eligible for a cash reward if your information leads to an arrest or recovery of the stolen property.