Skip to content
Join our Newsletter

Man accused of killing B.C. park caretaker can attend court by video

Justis Daniel was found dead Dec. 10, 2021, in his home on the grounds of Vancouver's Tatlow Park.
Justis photos
Justis Daniel, 77, was found dead inside his home near West 3rd Avenue and MacDonald Street on Dec. 10, 2021 at around 11 a.m.

The man accused of killing a much-loved Vancouver park caretaker will be allowed to attend his B.C. Supreme Court trial via video when he's not giving evidence.

That’s the decision handed down by Justice Miriam Maisonville in the second-degree murder trial of Brent Steven White, 53.

He is charged in the death of Justis Daniel, 77.

Daniel was found dead Dec. 10, 2021, in his home on the grounds of Tatlow Park, near West 3rd Avenue and MacDonald Street.

The Texas-born father of one was known as a talented singer and guitar player.

Police said the long-time caretaker was a well-known Kitsilano community fixture and had no known enemies. At the time of his death, there were no suspects and no known motive.

White requested the video option, saying he would not be able to meaningfully participate in the trial if he had to be transported for at least two-and-a-half hours every day to and from the North Fraser Pre-trial Centre (NFPC) where he is detained.

Maisonville said White suggested the pain caused by his transportation to and from NFPC on a consistent basis will be too significant to allow proper involvement in his case.

The judge said White suffers from chronic pain having been involved in a serious motor vehicle accident in 2011 and other incidents thereafter.

“In addition to chronic pain, the applicant suffers headaches, including migraines, and has mobility issues requiring, at times, the use of a cane,” she said.

Maisonville said White had waived his right to attend trial.

But, she said, if White is giving evidence, he must attend trial in person.

On Feb. 1, White re-elected from trial by jury to trial by judge alone.

The Vancouver Police Department said White was arrested without incident.

The trial is estimated to run for two months.