In response to Dean Coles letter to the editor (Friday October 26), here are 10 reasons why Mayor Shari Green has to go to China:
1. China is one of the worlds largest economies and a major export market for goods produced in northern British Columbia.
2. Prince George is an important transportation hub along the Asia-Pacific corridor, which links Asia to North America.
3. Shari Green is the Mayor of Prince George, northern British Columbias largest community.
4. Over the past several decades, senior levels of government (provincial, federal) have effectively devolved responsibility for local economic development to municipal governments.
5. Other municipalities in British Columbia and western Canada will be traveling to China and other parts of Asia in search of business.
6. Other business leaders from northern British Columbia and western Canada will be going and so this trip represents a good opportunity to network.
7. Colin Kinsley went to Asia when he was mayor and built up important relationships that need to be nurtured and sustained if they are going to produce results over the long term.
8. Successful business and political relationships must be built on face to face interactions.
9. The funds for this trip are already budgeted and the costs of this trip will probably be partly covered by the provincial and/or federal governments.
10. Because she has to go.