"These aren't your grandma's sock monkeys," said Diane Fairservice, organizer of the 31st annual Mennonite Fall Fair held today at the Civic Centre from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. "The sock monkeys that Wendy Herring makes are very different."
Unique sock monkeys, quilts, blankets, fresh Okanagan produce, fair trade coffee, jams, preserves and fair trade crafts from the Ten Thousand Villages are all up for sale.
But there's no fooling anyone.
Everyone's just as interested in the traditional Mennonite faire at the fair, including farmer sausage, perogies and a full lunch menu that will be available throughout the day.
The fair supports the Mennonite Central Committee to provide relief and development around the world. This year's fair proceeds go to food and clean water in developing countries. Last year, $23,000 was raised with 90 per cent going to the committee and the other 10 per cent to local projects like New Life Centre, a downtown soup kitchen, Ness Lake Bible Camp for camper sponsorship, and the Inter-varsity Christian Fellowship at the University of Northern B.C. and the College of New Caledonia, a group where young people away from home can come together.
There will be home baking, jams and preserves, a silent auction, used books, used clothing and a garage sale.