Charges against a Prince George man could be upgraded after a man who was beaten outside a Fort St. John bar last month has since died from his injuries.
Joel Christopher Marchand, 29, was arrested for the alleged July 23 incident and remains in custody while William Ted Metcalfe, 25, of Kelowna, was also arrested but has since been released on bail.
Chris Ball, 39, of Calgary, died Thursday after being taken off life support at Royal Alexandra Hospital in Edmonton and his family is calling for stiffer charges than the counts of aggravated assault and assault causing bodily harm the two men currently face.
They're seeking second-degree murder, rather than just manslaughter, a relative told the Calgary Herald, and claim Ball was sucker punched outside a bar in the town of 18,600 people 476 kilometres northeast of Prince George.
Marchand made a first appearance in Fort St. John provincial court on Wednesday and Metcalfe's next appearance is scheduled for Aug. 29.
RCMP have not named Ball, but family has identified him as one of the victims.
RCMP are continuing to investigate, said Cpl. Dan Moskaluk and are waiting for autopsy results.