A nice way to spend Canada Day is with a history quiz.
Without further ado, please put your thinking cap on and get to work.
Answers are at the bottom if no amount of headscratching helps.
1. What was the Canada Day holiday originally known as?
2. When did British Columbia join Confederation?
3. What year will Prince George celebrate its centennial?
4. What year will the Prince George Citizen celebrate its centennial?
5. The Giscome Portage linking Huble Homestead to Summit Lake is named after John Robert Giscome. Where was Giscome born?
6. Why is the Giscome Portage the most historically and geographically significant trail in the region?
7. Name the street in Lower College Heights named after one of Canada's patron saints.
8. Name the singer that has a street named after him in Ottawa and he wrote My Way.
9. Name Canada's first (and only) female prime minister.
10. Name BC's first female premier.
11. Name Prince George's first female mayor.
12. Prime Minister Stephen Harper took the stage at the National Arts Centre on Saturday, Oct. 3, 2009, and sang which song?
13. Name the prime minister best known for wearing a red rose in his coat lapel.
14. Name the first publisher of the Fort George Herald newspaper.
15. Name the mayor of Prince George from 1945 to 1949.
16. What was the original use of the building that became the first city hall in Prince George?
17. What wooden apparatus once stood on Connaught Hill?
18. What building now stands where the users of this apparatus ended up?
19. What used to be in the building at Fourth and Brunswick that is now the home of the Seniors Activity Centre?
20. Name the local architect who designed Sacred Heart Cathedral, Quinson elementary and the Prince George Citizen building.
21. Name the longest river in Canada.
22. Name the largest lake entirely in Canada's borders.
23. Name the highest mountain in Canada.
24. Who is the highest mountain in Canada named after?
25. What new name did Jean Chretien want to give to this mountain?
26. Name the NHL player who brought the Stanley Cup to Prince George after he won it as a member of the New Jersey Devils in 2003.
27. Name the former Prince George Cougar who won the Stanley Cup last year with the Boston Bruins.
28. Name the 102 year-old city resident who moved to Prince George in 1946 with her husband Garvin, who went on to become mayor.
29. Who ran his first marathon in Prince George in 1979?
30. Who is Prince George named after?
31. What does Coquitlam mean?
1. Dominion Day.
6. It crosses the Continental Divide
7. Jean de Brebeuf
8. Paul Anka
9. Kim Campbell
10. Rita Johnston
11. Carrie Jane Gray
12. With A Little Help From My Friends
13. Pierre Trudeau
14. Jack Daniels
15. Jack Nicholson
16. It was a brothel
17. A ski jump
18. The Bob Harkins branch of the Prince George Public Library
19. The Prince George Public Library
20. Trelle Morrow
21. Mackenzie River
22. Great Bear Lake
23. Mount Logan
24. Sir William Logan, founder of the Geological Survey of Canada
25. Mount Trudeau
26. Turner Stevenson
27. Zdeno Chara
28. Bea Dezell
29. Terry Fox
30. The fourth son of King George V
31. Stinks of fish slime